How to Make Dal
Good news–no scary pressure cookers necessary. Dal is packed with nutrients, it’s easy to make, and it tastes amazing when you add the right ingredients. In this 10 minute video, learn how to make a dal in less than an hour.
Bare-Bones Must Have:
- 1/2 cup of dal
- 2 cups water
- 1 tomato
- Garlic (1-2 cloves)
- Lemon Juice (1-2 drops)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder (for spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Cilantro for garnishing
- 1 chopped onion (optional)
How To Make Dal:
- Put 2 cups of water on stove and put on low-medium heat (don’t put it too high as it will bubble everywhere)
- Add 1/2 cup of daal
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes
- In a separate pan, add vegetable oil and put on medium heat
- Put in cumin seeds and if they start ‘dancing’ then add chopped tomatoes, shredded ginger, and chopped garlic
- Cook until the tomatoes are cooked down and sauteed.
- Once dal is ready (after about 30 minutes) and stir tomatoes and dal together
- Add 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (if you like spice), and salt to taste.
Was the How to Make Dal recipe easy to follow? Share with us in the comments section!