How to Make Chai
Save yourself a trip to your local coffee joint for a “chai latte” and follow our simple how-to video on making authentic chai, spices and all. This video was created particularly for the domestically challenged so the steps are extremely simple and easy to follow.
Bare-Bones Must Have
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Milk (2% recommended to give creamier finish)
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger
- Cardamom Powder
- 2 teaspoons of Loose Tea Leaves
(use a regular household spoon or a plastic spoon)
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
How To Make Chai:
- Pour one cup of water in a pot and keep it on medium heat.
- Next, shred approximately one teaspoon worth of ginger into the water.
- As the ginger is boiling, put in a big pinch of cardamom powder.
- Raise the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Once the water begins to steam, put in 2 tablespoons of loose Indian tea leaves. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then partially cover the pot with a lid or plate for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and put in 1 cup of milk. The more milk you put in, the creamier it will taste. For a good balance, 1 cup of of 2% or whole milk is recommended to balance the flavor.
- Add in two tablespoons of sugar and stir the chai.
- Bring chai to a boil. Once it boils, remove from heat and pour into a cup using a strainer.
- Enjoy your chai!
How did your chai turn out? Share with us in the comments section!